I’ve got a quick and dirty little DIY on tap for ya today. It’s SO simple, inexpensive, effective, and (of course) completely non-toxic. Your skin will freakin’ LOVE you for it.
I used to spend bazillions on different masks, peels, creams, serums, you name it – but was never blown away by the results (plus, SO many were full of sketchy-ass ingredients).
Okay, wait, I take that back. I actually swear by Juice Beauty’s Green Apple Peel Full Strength (it’s organic!) when I need to breathe some serious life into my face (i.e. remove layers of dead, dull skin) – but it costs approximately 10000x more than making my own mask at home, so I save it for when I really need it.
When I want a little skin revival action on a normal day, it’s so fun to whip up my own concoction – it only takes seconds to make, and I feel and look like I just strolled out of the spa when I’m done.
The base of it is always Bentonite Clay + ACV (aka apple cider vinegar), and lately I’ve been really digging adding some activated charcoal powder to amp up the detox benefits (I’ve also been known to add chlorella to the mix – it makes me look like The Incredible Hulk, which is nice).
Depending on what your skin goals are, you can add a couple drops of the essential oil(s) of your choice to turbocharge this bad boy – like Lavender for soothing, Frankincense for regenerating, Melaleuca for fighting breakouts, etc. or you can apply them with your moisturizer once you’ve washed the mask off, if you’d prefer.
Also, did I mention this mask is 100% edible? Not that it would taste amazing, but I get SUPER jazzed when my the ingredients in my products are to that level of safety. SEE YA NEVER, TOXINS!
Okay, before we get our DIY on, let’s quickly chat health benefits of the ingredients. Many people actually take bentonite clay, activated charcoal, and ACV internally, as they’re awesome for detoxification, digestion and immune health, but let’s focus on why they’re great for mask purposes today.
Bentonite Clay is made out of volcanic ash and is packed-to-the brim with minerals. Since it has a negative charge, it actually binds to and removes toxins from your skin (you can also take it internally to cleanse toxins and heavy metals from your body). It’s great for exfoliation, unclogging pores, evening skin tone, softening the skin, encouraging cellular regeneration, clearing up breakouts, and so much more.
Activated Charcoal is an incredible detoxifier because it’s outrageously absorbent. Like bentonite clay, it also has a negative charge and has millions of teeny pores that slurp up the toxins in its path. It loves gobbling up bacteria and pathogens that contribute to breakouts, gently exfoliating, extracting heavy metals and impurities, and reducing inflammation.
ACV is amazing for balancing the pH levels in your skin, which helps protect you from environmental damage, bacteria growth/blemishes, and dehydration by keeping your natural barriers (aka acid mantle) intact.
Now it’s DIY time!
- Bentonite clay (this is my fav brand)
- Activated charcoal (this is my fav brand)
- Apple cider vinegar (this is my fav brand)
- Pure, therapeutic grade essential oils (of your choice, if you’d like recco’s for your specific skin goals, drop me a line here)
- Add equal parts bentonite clay + ACV to a bowl, then break open a capsule of activated charcoal and add its contents to the mix. Stir until it forms a smooth paste. Make sure you don’t use anything metal to mix it, as it interferes with the effectiveness.
- Apply the paste to face, neck, chest (anywhere, really – I’ve even applied it to my armpits!) and let sit for 20-30 min. If/when it starts tightening and pulsing, don’t worry – the magic’s happening.
- Rinse with warm water (I like to soften it with a warm washcloth first) and moisturize as normal (I love to use my face oil, a little more than normal as clay can be a tad drying, and a drop of Frankincense essential oil for extra glow/goddess/regenerative purposes).
- P.S. You can also add this mix to the water when you’re taking a bath, it’s incredible for whole body detoxification and skin softening. Boom!